On 8/1/06, Epstein, Ezra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think there's a mis-communication.  I do not at all feel HiveMind is
"just an ego trip."  Far from it.

Rather I was questioning how the decision about IoC adoption is being
made.  At the time HiveMind got started the IoC container space was pretty
open and empty.  Not so anymore.

Of course Spring lacks features needed.  Understood.  Could Spring be
extended?

The trouble we all have -- it is certainly not unique to a creator of
software or this software -- so I'm speaking of my own experience, is that I
(and most folks I know) tend to get a bit skewed in favor of things that are
our "babies" so to speak.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  But we need
to recognize it when we're trying to make a decision and then correct for
it.  If HM is the best choice (not just technically, but also in terms of
adoption) then great, but what's the process of deciding?  Is it worth
exploring Spring enhancements?  That was the point.

I believe each of these containers has its place. Spring is more "business"
oriented, and has a great API for transactions and working with DAO. For
anything that has to do with business logic, spring is fantastic. But it is
far from lightweight and currently it would require way more xml + code to
do what hivemind is doing.
Hivemind was the main glue in tapestry 4 and allows to customize any part of
tapestry and wire your own stuff.
But many tapestry 3 users have been complaining about hivemind, it adds a
fair learning curve for tapestry.

Howard's IoC solution seems to me the most appropriate... It is very
lightweight and dedicated. No need to bother with an xml configuration +
java stuff. Everything will be in the code and the internal mecanims will be
dedicated for tapestry. This should lower the learning curve quite a bit.

Once the IoC will be finished I heard about plans for using the same model
for hivemind... And at that point it would be really nice if somekind of
spring integration could happen too. I'd like to use tapestry/hivemind and
spring more seamlessly.

Thanks
--
Henri Dupre