:)

Tapestry uses a pool to store page instances. While rendering it is safe to use instance variables but you have to make sure they are reset, preferrably in either pageDetached or pageAttached events. If you don't reset them, information can be shared between many users of your site, but not by all, since they might get another instance from the pool.

When using abstract properties, tapestry does the initialization work for you.

Hope that helps,
Ron

Brian Doherty wrote:
Sorry. What I mean by does not work is that getLocationOfStore() in my component is null after the component renders. When I use the updated code below the storeLocation is passed through to the component and getLocationOfStore() contains the location I passed in from the page. It does not like it when I use abstract getters and setters but I dont understand why.

Thanks
Brian

Ron Piterman wrote:

Brian Doherty wrote:

Hi,

I am having problems binding a property on my page to a parameter in my component. The following does not work

can you be more specific. "Does not work" is somehow general...

I have a CategoryListComponent as follows

<component id="categoryListComponent" type="CategoryListComponent">
      <binding name="locationOfStore" value="storeLocation"/>
</component>

On my CategoryList.java I have

public abstract void setStoreLocation(Location storeLocation);
public abstract Location getStoreLocation();

If however I change it as follows, it works fine. The storeLocation is passed into the component.

<component id="categoryListComponent" type="CategoryListComponent">
      <binding name="locationOfStore" value="locationOfStore"/>
</component>

On my CategoryList.java this time I have

private Location locationOfStore;
    public  void setLocationOfStore(Location locationOfStore) {
      this.locationOfStore = locationOfStore;
  }
    public  Location getLocationOfStore() {
      return locationOfStore;
  }

I dont understand why the Location wont be passed through if it declared as abstract. Any help would be great

Regards
Brian