There are issues with the namespace approach as well.

For instance, how about informal parameters?
If you want to go with the valid XHTML approach for templates,
you'd have to indeed use a namespace, allow tapestry:jwcid
for all elements and specify all additional parameters (required,
formal, informal)
in your jwc or with annotation.

But anyway, more important to me is having the generated code pass
validation.

I think there was a similar discussion a year ago in this list - if you
can search
for it, you might find more info :)