Yes we're using Tomcat, but I don't know what you mean by this.

The problem manifested itself as concurrent users of the web app seeing each
other's session data, as if they were all sharing one big session (which they
were!).  The persistent sessions stuff I just googled for only seems to imply
persisting sessions across tomcat restarts.

Our current plan is to tell the customer to set up citrix properly!

Tim.