> I have menu and locale selection in my border and some other stuff and I

Regardless of wether you use the Border pattern or not you are not forced to
duplicate content in the static versions. Whatever is between the <div> tags
are
replaced with the template of your Border/NavigationPane/Header/Footer
component.

It is merely a good idea to have sample markup there to be able to verify
the static layout.

I find that the Border pattern forces you to add a lot of "dead"(ignored by
tapestry) html
if you want to maintain the template viewable directly from the file.

> don't want to put this in all pages. But keeping the static version in all
My main objective is to have as little as possible "dead" html.

> pages seems almost as tedious. Or maybe I'll just add the css in all pages
Are you using inline css? why not proper stylesheets in a separate .css
file?

> and then the design guy will have to imagine all the menu stuff around
> each
> page body. But I'm not happy with this. ....

Hmm, ok, let me suggest that you use Home.htm as the main static layout in
the sense that
all the html is kept up to date wether ignored by Tapestry or not.

Make a component called Menu and give it a template containing the html
within the menu including
the enclosing <div>. Put jwcid="@Menu" on the relevant div in Home.htm.

Assuming your designer is up to scratch the menu will be an unordered list
(http://alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/)

Then update all other page templates with

You are now able to verify the design visually and maintain it with little
overhead. Of course you cannot verify the links in the static
design, but that would be pointless anyhow as they do not reflect the actual
site.