Thanks for the pointer Jesse.  I managed to get my stuff ported over to
Tapestry 4.1, but I'm still having trouble.

I basically copied the code from your TimeTracker example and attempted to
change the Autocompleter to instead be a PropertySelection.  Somehow my
listener is still not getting called.  I'm sure there's something simple
that I'm missing (I hope).

I've included the code below, thanks again for your help.

Here's my Java page class:
public abstract class AjaxTest extends BasePage {

          private static final Log log = LogFactory.getLog(AjaxTest.class);

          public abstract Locale getSelectedProject();

          @Component(id = "projectChoose", bindings = { "model=projectModel",
"value=selectedProject",
                    "displayName=message:choose.project", "filterOnChange=true",
                    "validators=validators:required"})
          public abstract PropertySelection getProjectChoose();

      public IPropertySelectionModel getProjectModel() {
          return new BeanPropertySelectionModel(
                  Arrays.asList(Locale.getAvailableLocales()),
                  "displayCountry");
      }

      @EventListener(targets = "projectChoose", events = "selectOption",
submitForm = "profileForm")
      public void projectSelected(IRequestCycle cycle, BrowserEvent event) {

and here's my html:
  <form jwcid="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" class="container"
clientValidationEnabled="true" >
  </form>