Change this:

<binding name="translator" value="translator:number,pattern=#.#"/>

to this:

<binding name="translator" value="translator:number,pattern=#.#,omitZero=false"/>

The 'omitZero' property in org.apache.tapestry.form.translator.NumberTranslator is true by default. Paul Ferraro (who I believe contributed much of the translation and validation system for Tap 4.0) argues that omitZero should be false by default in this JIRA issue:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-633

So vote for it if you agree.

-Ryan