The default StaleLink page extends BasePage, so you shouldn't have to extend a special base class. However, the default StaleLink page class declares a "message" property (i.e. public abstract void setMessage(String message)), so your custom page probably needs the same thing.

There doesn't appear to be a specific StaleSession page class in Tapestry, so I'm not sure why yours isn't working. If you can provide more details on the error you are seeing, maybe I can help.

-Ryan