It DIDN'T work, but I found out the problem.  I keep my page templates
under the context root (adjacent to WEB-INF).  When my page.properties
file was there, it didn't see it.  However, when I put my
page.properties file under WEB-INF, no problem.

So now I have to keep my page.properties files in a separate directory
than my page.html files!  Grrrrrr.

Bill