if you have ssh access, then you can easily connect Jconsole to your
application via an ssh tunnel.  Ssh allows you to set up a port on
your local machine which will simple transfer every byte received
across the ssh connection to any arbitrary port and host on the other
side of the connection.   don't know anything about Jconsole, but as a
generic example, let's pretend Jconsol needs to connect to your server
on port 8081.  In that case, you would run the following command on
your local machine:

ssh -L8081:localhost:8081 my.remotehost.com

This will cause any connection to port 8081 on your local machine (the
first 8081) to be tunneled through the connection to port 8081 on a
machine called localhost at the other end of the connection.  In this
case, that means the machine you are ssh'd into.  You could also give
a hostname which would be resolved on the server machine, so you can
use hostnames that aren't available to the internet itself.  Now, you
can just tell Jconsole to connect to localhost on port 8081 and all of
its traffic will magically cross your ssh tunnel.  You can tunnel
anything through ssh this way.  It is VERY handy when dealing with
remote hosts, particularly if you've got a network of machines that
are not directly accessible to the internet.  Open up ssh on one
machine with limited functionality/accessibility and you can then have
access to every other machine it can see, including those it shares
the 'secured' network with, even if you need more than terminal
access.  You can even tunnel X across such a connection, allowing you
to run gui apps on your remote hosts.  A crucial ability when you get
an app that requires X in order to run the installer (not as rare as
you'd think).  This should also work for remote debugging,
incidentally.

--sam