Have you even tried it?

This is definitely thought out and well supported so I don't see why
it wouldn't work. Dojo has an internal client side "manager" that
knows about widgetId's so it lets me do things like
dojo.widget.byId("yourComponent.clientId") to get a reference to your
widget without any help from you.

The Tapestry Timetracker demo is a perfect example of this. It targets
a function of the Autocomplete component which wraps a dojo Select
widget.

This should be working perfectly. If it does not please let me know.