Kent Tong wrote:
Alternatively, a type-safe setter style:
I would personally love type-safety. Currently my biggest gripe with Tapestry is the lack compile-time error-checking (and on-the-fly error-checking of my IDE) and lack of code-completion. A lot of stuff is currently (T4) configured using specific textual strings. You have to learn them by heart or keep documentation ready all the time and it is very easy to make a typo that will only show up on runtime. This decreases productivity for me. I lost count of the number of times I mixed up 'listeners:' with 'listener:' or 'beans:' with 'bean:' and other small mistakes. You won't notice them until you startup the application. That still gives me a JSP'isch feeling and basically means you have to put much more effort into testing each conditional block on the page on runtime

Any IDE would give you code-completion when using setter-style code in the library. It _may_ be more typing (although I doubt it because of code-completion) but it would be easier to learn, easier to to write supporting tools for, faster to develop for (less looking through documentation for people that don't know the documentation by heart) and on top of that deliver better quality code since your IDE will help spot typos as you type and the compiler will spit out errors if you make a mistake before running.

All IMHO of course :o)

Regards,

Onno