I'm having the same problem. I looked into this once. It has something to do
with how the Dialog component works. It actually copies the DOM tree of the
elements within the Dialog into a DOM island that it stuffs under the window
or document object I think. So, basically, the Input element within your
form isn't the same input element that the autocompleter attached to. I may
look further at how to handle this, but it ain't trivial.

Here's what I'm thinking of...

Add a dojo listener to the show() method of the dialog that contains the
autocompleter.

Use tapestry.widget.synchronizeWidgetState("tagAutoCompleter", "Select",
tagAutoCompleter, true); to recreate the widget.