Yep, I haven't figured out the documentation angle. I'm thinking in
terms of a Maven plugin to generate the component documentation
directly from the source code & annotations & javadoc.

One advantage is that you have the source and the core components are
in org.apache.tapestry.corelib.components (effectively, by definition,
they can't live elsewhere).

The documentation is, yes, mostly conceptual/brain dump (but it does
exist!). I have a start on a tutorial but I may be shifting gears to
have the tutorials up on DeveloperWorks.  That's stil in an early
negotation stage.  As a last resort, the test suite shows how a lot of
things work.