You can use optimistic locking.  When the user submits and they have
outdated data, then you just merge the object's data with what is in
the data store and show it back to the user for them to confirm it.

On 2/19/07, Murray Collingwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi

Jesse Kuhnert <jkuhnert <at> gmail.com> writes:
> hibernate.org

This is a rather simplistic answer, however I have been away and read the
documentation and am not convinced that this is providing a method that will
warn a user if somebody else if already updating a record.

Even this example of pessimistic locking appears to allow for previous data
changes to be overwritten:
http://forum.springframework.org/archive/index.php/t-10188.html

What would convince me?

An example of a read-for-update operation that returned a condition (or
exception) indicating that the requested object was currently locked by another
user.  I'm yet to find that in Hibernate.

Cheers
mc