Yep.. That's more or less how I did it last time. (sort of, but my
requirements had special conditions for doing things within rows
involving links and such that would make simple mouse outs not do-able
...ie it ~had~ to be actually leaving the row)

This page (from the previously referenced quirksmode - indispensable
to anyone writing even a little javascript ) outlines all of nasty
bits involved as well as a sample function that shows how to do the
out part properly. (well pseudo properly, it can be made much more
efficient )

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/events_mouse.html