There's a couple of layers of indirection getting in your way.

You can see tapestry.ioc.ApplicationDefaults and
tapestry.ioc.FactoryDefaults.  Those are two (of three) built-in
contributions to the tapestry.ioc.SymbolSource service configuration.

To pull that type of configuration data, data that ends up as symbols,
out of an external file, you'll need to create an object or service
that implements SymbolProvider and contribute it into that
configuration.