This may have been the case with a previous 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT version
that was doing some ~things~ with cglib and properties but I doubt
it...

If your properties aren't persistent there is no magic happening,
they just get set on the object.

Perhaps you are doing this in some kind of page loading method like
validate() or similar?

Even with persistent properties the object is first handed off to the
persistent store changes manager impl and then just set on the page
object, so there's no valid reason I can think of where this would
happen as you've described it.

I'd add some breakpoints to your code and run them in any of the
standard ide debuggers to find out definitively what is happening if
it were me. They leave 0 room for doubt in these situations.