The ResponseBuilder solution sounds like the current "right" approach to me.

The ResponseDelegateFactory service point is where the different
response types get registered and can "claim" handling a particular
kind of request using the same sort of voting strategy as other
services....So for your email purposes this shouldn't be that hard
actually.. Maybe look at the JSONResponseContributor implementation.

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-framework/hivedoc/module/tapestry.services.html