This is correct behavior for rendering HTML (as opposed to XHTML).
Unlike T4, T5 knows the difference.  HTML is a SGML language where
open tags are not necessarly balanced with close tags.

What's coming is the ability for Tapestry to render XML/XHTML
correctly and choose the correct strategy (HTML vs. XML/XHTML)
automatically.