OK, I'm new but trying to learn this stuff...  As I understand it:

T4 exists within servlet lifespan / T5 utilizes Filter and therefore is
outside the servlet lifespan.

Therefore I believe various things in T4 such as getting to the session
will have to be handled differently.

Is that correct?  I have a fair understanding of servlet work, but very
little about the context a filter has.

Is there any summary of the contextual differences anywhere?

Not so much the simple syntax changes in the html, but an overview of
the contextual and architectural changes.

A nice overview of the differences/similarities might be very helpful
right now.

If some of this exists please let me know.

But to ask a more-simple basic question - how in T5 do we create and
access a session specific Visit object?  Is it simply defining something
like this in the start page:

@ApplicationState

private Visit thisVisit;

And then defining the same @ApplicationState variable in each page