Just figured out you can return the block in a render stage to get it to render. Deceptively simple, but the docs (from my reading), didn't mention it.

        @BeforeRenderBody
        Block doSidebar()
        {
                return _sidebar;
        }

Yann Ramin wrote:
I got a good start on this, but still missing something fundamental.

In Page.java, I have the Sidebar component.
In Page.html, I pass the component in a parameter
<t:parameter name="sidebar">
    <t:sidebar/>
</t:parameter>

In Layout.java I have a sidebar block

@Parameter(required=true)
private Block _sidebar;

What I can't figure out is how to get the block to render.

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far!