Servlet class loaders do not look for  META-INF/Manifest.mf inside the WAR.

I believe you could place it WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/Manifest.mf.
From what you describe, I'm not sure that the manifest file is showing
up in the right place.

I would not rely on the manifest approach for a web application, but
instead rely on how T5 loads the "application module", as demonstrated
in the quickstart Maven archetype.