Yeah....It's probably ultimately something in javassist. It creates a very
large cache of objects when compiling things. Not that it's javassists
fault, there are ways to help fix some of that but it's not very
straightforward / easy to do.

...Which more or less means intelligently finding ways to make it so that
this cache can be cleared out. I've done this for the ognl compilations
already but the method required to do it on tapestry proper will have to be
much different so it's probably going to be a 4.2 kind of thing. (or maybe
sooner if someone wants to take a crack at it, I'll happily outline my ideas
somewhere ;) )