That depends entirely on your requirements.  The API for tap 4.1.x is
still not entirely stable (or wasn't last time I checked, anyway, and
I assume that the fact that it isn't the recommended release is
confirmation of this), so not only are you still likely to encounter
bugs, but there is also no guarantee that you won't have to modify
code to upgrade your version to the latest 4.1.x release.  This is
more an issue for some teams than for others.  Tap 4.0.x does support
ajax functionality, via the tacos component library, which provided
much of the insipration for the tap 4.1 ajax mechanism.  So if you
want a stable codebase, you can definitely opt ofr Tap 4.0 + tacos
4.0.  Given the differences that will arise between tap 5.x and tap
4.1, I am just waiting for tap 5.x.  It doesn't look as though there
will be any backwards compatibility from 4.1 to 5, so I am just going
to skip the 4.1 release and get maximum return on my upgrade
investment by going straight to 5.x once it is ready.  It is
definitely lacking in much necessary functionality right now
including, I believe, any mechanism for doing ajax-type requests.  So
I definitely don't recommend 5.x, but the choice of whether to go with
4.0 or 4.1 is dependent upon your requirements with regard to
stability.

--sam