Tapestry works by identifying the points at which a variable is read or
updated and often replaces that with a method invocation that does something
more complicated (such as persistent field values or component parameters).

If the field is private, Tapestry is able to make the changes within a
single class.

If we supported non-private members, it gets a couple of orders of magnitude
more complicated.  You can no longer perform the instrumentation on a
class-by-class basic; instead you have to identify every possible class and
perform all the instrumentations at once. This is more like how APT or
AspectJ works and isn't feasible for Tapestry, since by design, many of the
instrumentations are only known about, or implementable, at runtime.