The problem was resolved.

1. I couldn't even get Jetty to run with 5.0.4-SNAPSHOT in Eclipse (this
worked fine in Intellij / Tomcat). I reverted to 5.0.3.
2. The files had gotten jumbled around with html files in src/main/java and
java files in src/main/resources. Real mess.
3. Maven adds the src/main/resources to the list of project resources. I
removed that entry and added it as a library class folder (as shown in
screen cast #1 with Howard)

Golden!

P.S. I even reloads *.properties (i18n) files!!