You have to contribute a new ResponseContributor to the service point here:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-framework/hivedoc/config/tapestry.services.ResponseContributors.html

It works the same way as the tacos version. Different response types sniff
the incoming http request and one of them wins in responding to it.