Oh ...Forgot that you wanted to stop it. Yeah that wouldn't work there.

I don't think there is anything to do other than what tacos does:

http://opencomponentry.com:8080/tacos/forms/DirtyFormExample.html

thanks, but I don't seem to be able to veto that event.
dojo.event.browser.stopEvent(evt)  doesn't seem to work ...