Aha.

So the only real difference between the demo page and your configuration is
that you specified a pattern of "0".  The demo pages use the more generic #
(as well as the default for the number translator).

If I remember correctly specifying something like "0" for the pattern forces
your input to be exactly one digit, so anything like 11 would fail.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/text/DecimalFormat.html