I've just tried a javascript writeback hack (trying to keep it tapestry-ish, yet it's a hack for sure)

basically, the dialog's form elements are Any's so they populate correctly, but don't submit to tapestry. then when the submit button is clicked they Any's values are sucked into some hidden (TextField with display:none in css) and the form is submitted.

I figured this would take advantage of the ajax parts that work for me, and avoid what isn't working. the problem with this is that: 1. I need to make use of a converter to make sure that tapestry can find the appropriate object on rewind; i can't figure out how to use a converter on a plain old TextField or Hidden 2. If there are validation issues with the user input, the Any component needs to receive the validator message etc, not the invisible TextField.

I'd love to be able to change my border component so that the LinkSubmit's can sit outside of the form (substitute them with something else) so that pages can define their own forms and where they begin/end, however that in it's self will be a hack and it means changing ten pages to include a hack vs changing 1 page to include a hack (if i can hack through this dialog issue).

Any suggestions welcome. Paul.

Paul Stanton wrote:
4.1.1

Firstly, I'm pretty sure what I'm trying to do is not possible, so read on with that in mind.

My border component defines my form. This is necessary because I have a tabbed structure where the tabs are LinkSubmit's and need to be associated with a Form.

My page has part of the form content always displayed, normally without ajax or anything dynamic. This part is a list of elements with checkboxes to enable/disable.

When clicking on an element in the list, a dojo Dialog is displayed containing a previously existant yet hidden portion of the form to edit the attributes of the element along with a LinkSubmit to submit the whole form (border form) when the user is done.

Note that I must continue the existing border's form as the dialog code needs to sit within the border, otherwise it would fall outside of the html element.

I can't for the life of me get this to work. I think because the Dialog is re-rendered (updateComponent) the dialogs portion of the form is essentially detached from the border forms request cycle. No matter what I enter in the dialog, nothing comes back to the listener when the form is submitted.

Is what I'm trying to do possible, or do I need to rip apart my border component so that I can embed a separate form in the dialog?

Thanks, Paul.