But he can set the id parameter to whatever he likes, i.e.

As there are no dynamic component instances in Tapestry, there are no
dynamic component-ids. What you are seeing (loopContacts_i, i=1 ...) are
multiple clientId's (Element id's on the client side) rendere by one and
the same component instance, whose id, the component-id on the server,
is "loopContacts". So, tapestry wouldn't recognise loopContact_0 as a
valid component-id anyway.

So, I'd just try to refresh "loopContacts" and see whether the overhead
of refreshing all instances really hurts.