The fact that optional parameters worked in the past was
unintentional.  However it seems like a good idea, I'm just trying to
think of the best way to implement it.  I'd rather not add another
method to the Validator interface, if possible ... in fact, I'm
thinking of simplifying it (putting more of the information gathered
from the interface into a contribution to the service) ... go ahead,
an an issue, but bear in mind that the API will likely change a bit.
Viva le Alpha!