Couple of comments...
First, the T5 asset service has the md5 feature. But the default implementation, at the moment, only requires md5 hashing for the .class files. (So, there's not an open door to the class bytes at the moment. ;) Second, I have a T5 app that should be going live in the next few days. So I implemented an extensible AssetProtectorDispatcher. By default, it uses a whitelist strategy, and the default configuration will add the various tapestry assets (default.css, grid's components, etc.) to the whitelist for you.
You can download it here:
http://www.tapestrycomponents.org/Tassel/app?service=external/ ViewComponent&sp=SAssetProtectionDispatcher

Or, if you're a maven user, I've got it in a personal maven repo here:
http://www.saiwai-solutions.com/maven

Cheers.

Robert