you could use the EventListener mechanism to intercept the clicks,
see http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/ajax/eventlistener.html
If you know the link-id's in advance, it's particularly easy.
If you don't have control over the "external" links, you'll have to
come up with some javascript delegating the onclick events to a single
element controlled by tapestry which you can then intercept.