I am trying to find the best approach to making changes to the
existing Tapestry 5 core components.  This is what I've thought of so
far.  Please add suggestions or correct me!

Very Small Changes:
Changing the look of a component:
1. Override styles with your own CSS file, no changes made to actual components.

Small Changes:
Changing an image used in a component:
1. Hacking the actual T5 library (replacing image files) (unmaintainable)

Medium Changes:
Changing the non-programmatic html output:
1. Hacking the actual T5 library (replacing or modifying the template)
(unmaintainable)

Big Changes:
i.e. Changing the html markup that gets output, or changing data model:
1. A complete rebuild of component that exists the way the T4 contrib did.
2. Hacking the actual T5 code (bad, unmaintainable)

i.e. Pulling the GridPager away from the Grid.
1. A complete rebuild of component that exists the way the T4 contrib did.

A real life example:

I want to display a Grid without using the BeanModel.  My data is in a
list of maps, with each row item being a map<String,String>.  Rather
than construct a row class for each list, I'd rather supply a keySet()
of the column names.  I would think this falls under the "Big Changes"
category.