I use Tomcat 5.5.23 and WTP for development.  My context probably
reloads 200-400 times a day.  Only when  I am making changes to
web.xml/context.xml, log4j.properties, hibernate xmls do I need to
stop and then start the server again.

I have never run into a memory issue, although if I "run modules
directly from workspace" the temp directory under my
workspace/.metadata/..../server-core can get hosed sometimes.  I've
had more reliability running straight from the Tomcat container, with
everything initialized through WTP.