I think he wants to bypass the need for a getter and try to directly
retrieve something like a static final, which should have the public
visibility needed.  I just assumed prop: would work since you specify
the exact name, instead of having "get" appended.

I guess ognl's special syntax for getting statics was that you specify
the full path to the class that holds the static?