I thought I had a pretty slick dynamic image component using the examples
from the list and wiki. Recently I noticed a performance problem and tracked
it to excess database access. It seems that whatever page I embed the image
component in gets fully re-loaded when the onImage action is trigged. When I
discovered this I was using onActivate in my page class to load some data
from the database. I switched to beginRender hoping that since I wasn't
actually rendering the page it wouldn't get called, but that was wrong.

I suppose that it makes sense to me that these methods would get called for
cases where the component is doing something with data in the page, but in
this case it doesn't. So, the question is; do I refactor and upgrade my
Image Component to an Image page? Or is there a better design that I haven't
seen/thought of yet?

I guess the more I think about the problem a separate page, or a filter of
some kind (haven't delved into that part of T5 yet) might be more
appropriate for rendering the bytes for the dynamic image as it's really not
related to the page that contains it per se...

Thanks,
Josh

TheDailyTube.com. Sign up and get the best new videos on the internet
delivered fresh to your inbox.