We've been experiencing strange behaviour of our now growing application
Savila and as well with another project we are working on. Both use Tapestry
5.0.5. Our development machines run with Mac OS X and we use JDK 1.5 that
comes with it. We deploy to Linux with Sun's JDK 1.6 and Tomcat 6.0.10.

Our application Savila ran fine on JDK 1.6 with Tapestry 5.x until last week
when we started to experience hangs. It seems that Tomcat accepts the
request, then our and Tapestry's code do something, but it never finishes.
When we hit the stop button in the browser and look at the HTML we can see
that it's all there. I'm not talking about form submissions, but regular
pages.

This behaviour either starts after the app has been idle for some time or in
the middle of user actions. There is no load - just one user active. With a
significantly smaller application we see the same behaviour.

Two days ago we switched to Sun JDK 1.5 for our large application and since
then there are no more hangs.

There was a report here on the mailinglist about trouble with a javassist
and using a pre-release 3.6.0.CR1. At least on the Mac with the pre-release
JDK 1.6 that didn't not really solve the problem. It just shows up later.

At the moment I feel that Tapestry 5.0.5 requires JDK 1.5.

Stephan