I've had an application based on Tap 4.0.2, Hibernate 3.1, Spring 1.2.5,
Acegi 1.0.0 with complicated inheritance and relationships, and Hibernate
interceptors.

I haven't touched the code in 10 months and it works like a charm.

I ran into issues during development with Class cast exceptions for
component parameters when accessing through OGNL, but just got around it by
putting the accessors into Java code instead.  This problem was not
exclusive to lazy loading, but it did cause me to change to eager loading
for a few relationships.

Make sure you have a good equals() definition for your model classes - I
added an "oid" property to a BaseModelObject populated from a UUID generator
and used that for equality.  I read a lot of different perspectives on
equality testing for hibernate - and that's the "religion" I chose.

All in all, lazy loading works very well.