From: Robert A. Decker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 September 2007 04:08
To: users@tapestry.apache.org
Subject: [T5] tutorial question

I'm teaching myself Tapestry by jumping right into version 5. I'm a
pretty experienced developer and so I'm not ready to give up and go
back to version 4, but I am having what is probably a very basic
problem...

I'm trying to do the Tapestry 5 tutorial and I'm on the section where
we count the number of guesses on Guess page page:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tutorial1/hilo.html

The tutorial doesn't fully cover what should be in Guess.java

This method:
Object onActionFromLink(int guess) {
     _count++;
     if (guess == _target) {
         _gameOver.setup(_count);
         return _gameOver;
     }

            if (guess < _target)
              _message = String.format("%d is too low.", guess);
            else
              _message = String.format("%d is too high.", guess);

            return null;
}

GameOver is another page in the app. Not knowing exactly what I
should do, I have declared as a variable in Guess.java:
        @InjectPage
        GameOver _gameOver;

However, this is leading to a NullPointerException, which kind of
makes sense because GameOver isn't persisted. So, I tried: @InjectPage
@Persist GameOver _gameOver

But that doesn't fix the problem, and documentation I found in
Tapestry 4 seems to say that you can't declare multiple injection
tags per variable.

Does anyone have a working Tapestry 5 tutorial? Or can help me with
this specific problem?

I've also tried something like:
GameOver _gameOver = new GameOver();
_gameOver.setup(_count);
return _gameOver;

(the WebObjects way) but that leads to an even weirder exception...

Thanks,
Robert A. Decker

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown.  This email
transmission may contain confidential information.  This information is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended
even if addressed incorrectly.  Please delete it from your files if you are not
the intended recipient.  Thank you for your compliance.  Copyright 2007 CIGNA