But visiting

     'www.mydomain.com/myapp/package1'

actually does work in that scenario, as long as there is a '/' at the end.
And visiting

     'www.mydomain.com/myapp/package1/package1/'

doesn't work at all. This is actually what I was trying to accomplish,
except for the fact that the absence of the trailing '/' causes the 404. (I
tested, and it only does so in this scenario.)

I assume that the first URL works, and the second URL doesn't, because of
the URL filtering that you pointed out to me in the 'Component Classes'
chapter.

Because each package within the 'pages' package corresponds to a 'directory'
in the URL, I would like for it to behave like a typical URL, so that
deleting a portion of the URL back to a particular 'directory' will (if
desired) cause an associated page to appear.

This seems to work as long as in each package where this is desired, you
place a class within that package that has the same name as the package. The
only trouble is that it breaks if the trailing '/' is excluded.