The only way that the server would know that the client's connection had
been disconnected is when it tried to read or write from that connection.
Until the server tries to read or write something back to the browser your
thread will continue happily chugging along. Generally no writing happens
until the response page has been completly rendered. If you are
uploading/downloading files then you need to consider that an exception may
occur while you are reading from the stream.

Josh