Whatever your app/context name is (by default its App as created by the quickstart), create an App.properties file in WEB-INF. Assuming you've done that and you have your "applicationTitle" message, access it in templates using the "message" binding prefix:

<title>${message:applicationTitle}</title>

When you use expansions (${}) Tapestry uses a binding prefix to know what it is and where to find it. The default prefix used in templates is "prop", which instructs Tapestry to look for a property in the associated page class.

jblier wrote:
Newbie question:

I would like to replace the content of the <title> tag with a value read
from a .properties file.

How do I set the <title> tag?

<title>${applicationTitle}</title>

How do I set a .properties files that would contain:

applicationTitle=Application Title version 1

Currently I get the error:

Class org.example.myapp.pages.Start does not contain a property named
'applicationTitle' (within property expression 'applicationTitle').
Available properties: class, componentResources, currentTime.