That's correct; think of your component as a listener, listening, not for when /it/ is starting to be rendered, but when the /page/ is starting to render. So, the component's "pageBeginRender" is always called, since the component is asking to be notified of when the /page/ starts to render, regardless of whether the component is rendered.
Basically, the order of events is along the lines of:

fire page validation events
fire page begin render events
  render component 1 in page
  render component n in page