Hi Kaspar,
you are right OGNL bytecode compilation is enabled in all Tapestry-versions
>= 4.1.2.
As far as I can see, the performance improvements will be substantial for
high-volume public sites where server-cpu load is a performance-bottleneck.
If you are not satisfied with rendering times in single-/few user tests, I'd
think of db-roundtrips rather than OGNL as the usual suspect.
After all, only performance profiling will really tell (see YourKit, for
example).

--Marcus