an advantage to NOT having tapestry built on spring is that we can drop in our legacy spring contexts where we don't want to upgrade from 1.x

I really think tapestry-ioc was designed in such a way to allow maximum refactorability and ease of testing from the developer's standpoint.

In a way, I kindof see what you mean. I was a little put off by T4 when I heard of this "hivemind"(the predecessor to tapestry-ioc) thing when I had already studied up on spring.

I suppose it would really take some time to see how Spring evolves, whether or not it would be up to the job for driving tapestry. I believe tapestry-ioc and -core have made such a great leap forward in terms of "pulling it all together" for streamlining web-development with java that it wouldn't have been possible to do with Spring. spring was ubiquitous already, but couldn't mature as fast because they had to hold up the legacy support. Tapestry is often critized for having too many releases with too little compatibility. This is the price you pay for having such an excellent framework. I believe tapestry-ioc to be very mature already and by the time it comes 'round that Spring can do what tapestry-ioc can do, tapestry-ioc (and tapestry-core) will probably have a big following. Those people may/ may not want to go through the hassle of switching to spring. That depends on how appealing Spring is or becomes. maybe by that point "Spring" might be considered "stale".
Anyway, the tapestry-spring link is exactly what this project needs.

I think the site should do a little more to distinguish between the two and drive new tapestry-lookers to a path which makes tapestry and spring look like best pals.

-Mike Lake