On Dec 28, 2007 1:44 PM, Joel Wiegman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ouch... That change botches up my current application pretty thoroughly.
>
> I don't think the event needs to be re-named... but consider the
> following situation:
>
> If a form is in a layout component that other pages use via the
> @Component annotation (say because most of the forms look very similar
> and they want to re-use the presentation and validation logic), they
> have no way of validating their forms in the pages, because they no
> longer have access to the validate event from the form.

You can do onValidateFromLayout() ... that is, if Form is inside
Layout, then the event will bubble up from Layout to your page, and
will appear to originate with Layout.

Alternately, the Layout component could capture the Form's validate
event and trigger a new event with a name of your choice:

boolean onValidateFromForm()
{
  _componentResources.trigger("layoutvalidate", null, null);
}

> I tried using the onValidateFromIndividualField() technique... the
> behavior of that seemed inconsistent (had to submit the form twice to
> get the event to fire???).

Huh?

Are you sure your client-side validation wasn't preventing the form submission?

> How does one log these events to see which events are firing?

That isn't really logged right now.

> Looks like I'll have to start validation over from ground zero if I want
> to upgrade to 5.0.7...
>
> Perhaps the validation doc page could be updated with advice on proper
> validation techniques?

Howard M. Lewis Ship