Use T4.1.X ? (updateComponents parameter forces it to be async as well
as just setting async="true" if you don't need to refresh any portion
of the existing rendered page)

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/components/link/directlink.html

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry / OGNL / Dojo team member/developer